The National Museum of Scotland was established in 2006 following the amalgamation of the Museum of Scotland and the older Royal Scottish Museum. From the former came its collection of artefacts covering Scottish history and culture, with the latter contributing items related to science and technology, natural history, art, archaeology, and world cultures. The two connected buildings forming the National Museum of Scotland are located on Chambers Street in Old Town Edinburgh. Admission to the museum is free, with the number of visitors exceeding 2.2 million in 2018.
Below: The front and reverse sides of the free map available to visitors to the Scottish National Museum in Edinburgh.
|The museum's vaulted, 1,400 square metre street-level Entrance Hall was created during the 2011 restoration project out of spaces previously used for museum storage.|
|A display of medieval Scottish artefacts. The case in the centre of the photo holds Clarsach, known as the Queen Mary harp, built around 1500 and featuring characteristic West Highland decoration.|
|A gallery devoted to Scotland's medieval history includes carvings, cannons, musical instruments, and various handheld weapons.|
A display on the prosperity arising from Scotland's merchant trade. In the 18th century, sailing ships carried a wide range of raw products and manufactured goods between Scotland and Norway, the Baltic, the Low Countries, France, Spain, Ireland, and England. Large volumes of wine, brandy, sherry, and port were imported into Scotland, particularly by Edinburgh wine merchants. Wine imported in large wooden barrels was bottled by local merchants, driving the development of the Scottish glass-making industry; nevertheless, to avoid paying the hated government duties on imports, wine smuggling was commonplace. The case holds examples of pewter wine flagons, wine glasses, decanters, and stoneware bottles for seltzer water.
A display on Scottish emigration to India and the East, Australia, and New Zealand. Scots occupied important roles in British India as soldiers, administrators, and traders.
|The final Scottish history gallery, entitled 'Scotland: A Changing Nation', tells the story of Scotland from the First World War up to the present day.|
|A hydraulic rivetting machine made by Sir William Arral & Company Ltd of Glasgow. Invented for building the Forth Rail Bridge in the 1880s, hydraulic rivetting machines improved both the speed and affordability of construction.|
|A model of Bustler, a salvage tug built by Henry Robb Ltd of Leith in 1942. Bustler was one of eight such tugs built for the Admiralty to tow damaged Royal Navy ships to safety. Henry Robb Ltd was established in 1917 and closed in 1983.|
|The 'Discoveries' gallery connecting the museum's old and new buildings houses objects linked to the 'scientific discoveries and technological breakthroughs which changed Scotland and the world'.|
|The modernist entrance to the Museum of Scotland building, opened in 1998. Together with the former Royal Scottish Museum, it now forms the National Museum of Scotland.|