Canada's rich aerospace history is on full display at this popular national museum, nestled in northeast Ottawa, Ontario on the site of the former Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) Station Rockcliffe. The museum, the result of the 1964 consolidation of the National Aviation Museum, the Canadian War Museum aviation collection, and the RCAF Museum, moved into its present, distinctively triangular hangar in 1988. A second storage hangar, located next to the main museum building, opened in 2006 and allows the Museum's entire collection to be housed indoors. While most visitors only tour the Main Hangar, aviation buffs can pay a little extra to take one of the twice-daily, small group guided tours of the Reserve Hangar.
Please enjoy this photo-tour of the main and storage hangars of the Canada Aviation and Space Museum, taken during a 14 October 2012 visit:
The main entrance to the Canada Aviation and Space Museum,
Ottawa, Ontario, 14 October 2012.
|The crest of the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF)|
The first thing visitors see upon entering the museum is the Canadair CT-114 Tutor jet trainer suspended from the ceiling.
The Tutor is painted in the colours of the RCAF's Snowbirds aerial acrobatic team.
Views inside the Museum's main hangar building.
|A Supermarine Spitfire L.F. Mk IX fighter, built in 1944.|
A Westland Lysander III short takeoff and landing aircraft used for reconnaissance and observation. This aircraft was rebuilt by the RCAF as a Centennial project in 1967, using parts from three Lysanders. It was presented to the Museum in 1968.
A Second World War-era Avro 683 Lancaster X four-engined heavy bomber.
A North American Aviation P-51D Mustang IV fighter.
The Museum's trainer aircraft display. The aircraft in the foreground is a deHavilland D.H.82C2 Menasco Moth (c.1941); the aircraft perched on the pedestal behind is a Fairchild PT-26B Cornell III (c.1942).
A North American Aviation Harvard II trainer (c.1940).
A Heinkel He-162A-1 Volksjäger, conceived, designed, and built in only 90 days as a last-ditch German attempt to stave off defeat in 1945. The plane was built out of non-strategic materials and could be assembled by semi-skilled labour.
A Hispano HA-1112-MIL Buchón, a Spanish-built version of the German Messerschmitt Bf 109G fighter, built in 1950.
A deHavilland D.H.100 Vampire 3 fighter jet, built in 1948 and in service with the RCAF until 1956.
An Avro CanadaCF-100 Mk.5D two-seat, all-weather bomber interceptor. This aircraft was built in 1958.
The CF-100 is the only Canadian-designed fighter to enter mass production, with 692 being built between 1950 and 1958. This aircraft served for 21 years with various air force units and was transferred to the Museum by the Canadian Forces in 1979.
A view of the Museum's fighter aircraft display.
Fighter jets of the 1950s in the chronologically-arranged display at the Canada Aviation and Space Museum.
A Canadair Sabre 6 (F-86), built in 1955 and painted in the colours of No. 444 “Cobra”Squadron.
A Canadair T-33AN Silver Star 3 jet trainer, built in 1957 and in service with the RCAF until 1964.
A McDonnell Douglas CF-188B Hornet (F/A-18B) in the foreground and the cockpit and nose section of an Avro Canada CF-105 Arrow.
|The Museum's display of helicopters.|
A Piasecki HUP-3 utility helicopter in Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) colours. This helicopter was built in 1954, served with the US Army, and was transferred to the RCN in 1964. It was purchased by the Canadian War Museum in 1965 and restored in 1981-82.
Boeing Vertol CH-113 Labrador search and rescue helicopter. This Labrador was the first one acquired by the Canadian Forces in 1963 and the last one retired in 2004, after which it was donated to the Museum.
|The Museum's naval aviation display.|
A Second World War-era Fairey Swordfish II used for training and torpedo bombing. The history of this aircraft is unknown, as it languished on a farm in Tilsonburg, Ontario for many years before being purchased for the Museum in 1965.
A display of historic Trans-Canada Air Lines / Air Canada travel posters in the Museum's commercial aviation collection.
The Museum's display of Canada's astronauts and human space flight program.
The Canada Aviation and Space Museum Reserve Hangar
A de Havilland Canada DHC-1B2 Chipmunk 2 trainer. This aircraft was built in 1956 and served with the RCAF until 1971. It was transferred to the Museum in 1972.
Lockheed L-12A Electra Junior airliner, built in 1937 for the Department of Transport and donated to the Museum in 1963.
A Waco VKS-7 Standard Cabin biplane (c. 1942).
|A view of the inside of the Museum's Reserve Hangar.|
A Grumman CP-121 Tracker anti-submarine patrol aircraft (c. 1960) framed by the engines of a de Havilland Canada DHC-7.
A Lockheed L-1329 Jetstar 6, built in 1961 for the Department of Transport and used to carry government officials and foreign dignitaries. The Museum obtained the aircraft in 1986. A total of 204 Jetstars were built by Lockheed.
A view of part of the Reserve Hangar's collection. The Vickers Viscount is in the foreground, with a Canadair CP-107 Argus maritime patrol aircraft behind the de Havilland Otter.